Live Geo-referenced Storm Chaser Video. First in the Field Aerial Live Streaming and Aerial Storm Intercepts. High Resolution Level II Radar Data. Severe Weather Forecasts and Reports by Storm Chasers/Severe Weather Videographers Verne, Michael and Eric Carlson. For live stream and video licensing contact us at: vernecarlson@hotmail.com

KRDO ColoSprgs Storm Chasers!

KRDO

KAKE Wichita Storm Chase Team!

KAKE

Denver's Channel 7 Storm Chasers

KMGH 7 News

License this Live Stream Now!

Follow us LIVE on iMap Tracker! When you see a car we are live.


Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Small setback and more MiniTurtle testing

Today I tried to buy a 1.2 Ghz YAGI antenna and could not add the item to my shopping cart online. I called the supplier and was informed that sales of these antennas is now limited to the military! I had noticed earlier that there are none of these antennas available on eBay and was wondering why. So today I decided to switch to the more widespread 2.4 GHz band. This meant buying a 2.4 GHz setup which I got for $75 which includes 2 cameras and a 4 channel receiver. This will allow me to deploy two turtles and point the Yagi at the one with the best view. Systems are widely available with 4 cameras and 4 channels so I may eventually deploy 4 turtles at 100 foot intervals and increase my odds of an intercept.

Tonight I hooked everything up and ran the MiniTurtle out the driveway to a distance of 150 feet where I lost a good signal. This was done through the walls of the house and with the stock 3" receiver whip antenna so with a Yagi I should be able to greatly increase this distance.

Here's the video for the quick test I did from the dining room window:
Close Range Video from Prototype MiniTurtle

No comments:

The Carlsons', Verne, Michael and Eric

The Carlsons', Verne, Michael and Eric

Contact Me for Helicopter Shots!

Flying Monkeys

My Blog List

Blog Archive